How to use the Instant test
The Instant test is a new feature in SamKnows One that gives you the ability to run tests whenever you like. It is only available for selected Whitebox 8.0 users at this time.
IMPORTANT: this feature is in beta and is only available to selected Whitebox 8.0 users.
- How to run an Instant test using your Whitebox
- Cross-traffic and the Instant test
- Instant test troubleshooting
- Instant test FAQ
How to run an Instant test using your Whitebox
The Instant test allows you to run a set of popular performance tests – including your broadband speed and latency – at your command on a Whitebox 8.0. It only takes 30 seconds and it will display the results to you immediately.
By using the Instant test, in conjunction with the Whitebox’s existing scheduled tests, you can collect more precise information about your network at the time when problems occur.
Important: before you run a test, we highly recommend you temporarily suspend your internet use – and ask others using your network to do the same, if possible – to allow the test to give you the most accurate results possible. This is because the Instant test’s results will include any cross-traffic that is present – see below.
- To perform Instant tests, click the Instant test page on the top menu of your SamKnows One dashboard
- Once on the Instant test page, click Run test to begin
- Your Whitebox will now test your network. It should take about 30 seconds, though slower connections can take longer.
Presto! Once a test is complete, your results will be displayed as a spreadsheet on the same page. All tests are dated and time stamped. The latest Instant test is shown first.
If you’d like to share your Instant test results, we recommend you take a screenshot.
Cross-traffic and the Instant test
When you perform tests using the Instant test you may notice that your network’s test results can appear lower than expected.
The reason for this might be because your Whitebox is testing your network regardless of what activity is already occurring (see What to do if your Whitebox isn’t collecting data (Cross-traffic)). This means if you, or any other people in your household or office, are using the internet at the time – streaming videos, playing an online game, among other things – then your test results will appear lower.
You don’t need to worry.
Just keep in mind:
- Before you run a test, we highly recommend you temporarily suspend your internet use – and ask others using your network to do the same, if possible – to allow the test to give you the most accurate results possible.
- If you’re not happy with your initial Instant test results, run a couple more to check what you’re getting.
- Your Instant test results only appear on the Instant test page. By viewing your separate scheduled tests – from your dashboard or the Analytics page – you can build a better picture of your network’s performance.
Instant test troubleshooting
Your Whitebox must be correctly set up and online for you to run an Instant test.
If you encounter any of these errors, here’s what to do:
- “Your Whitebox is offline” / “Can’t reach your Whitebox”: please make sure you have correctly set up your Whitebox 8.0.
- “A test is running”: only one test can be run at a time. If you see this message, it’s possible a scheduled test is already running or you have attempted to run another Instant test before the first one has finished. Give it a minute, then try again.
- “Something went wrong, please try again later”: This one is on us. Please wait a minute, then try again. If you continue to experience issues, contact us.
If you’re experiencing issues using the Instant test that aren’t list here, contact our support team.
Instant test FAQ
Who is the Instant test feature available to?
The Instant test is currently in beta and only available to selected users with Whitebox 8.0 (SK-WB8).
It is not available on the SamKnows mobile app.
What is the difference between Instant tests and Scheduled tests?
The Instant test currently allows you to test your fixed-line broadband’s download and upload speeds, latency, packet loss, and jitter with a single test cycle.
Scheduled tests are set to occur at specific times of day or for a set period of time. They test all the metrics your Instant test does and more besides.
Results for the Instant test are completely separate to your Scheduled test results. The results for scheduled tests can be found in the Analytics section of your SamKnows One dashboard.